If you’ve read my previous posts, you know I write a lot about generosity. This is a favorite topic of mine, not only because I believe we’re created to serve others, but also because I’ve been the beneficiary of ridiculous amounts of love and kindness lately…from people who don’t owe me a thing.
Generosity is like a seed – if you nurture it properly, there is no limit to how deep, tall, or wide it can grow.
If the concept of generosity as a leadership skill is new to you, read my article Generosity: A Career Growth Strategy. Then try “gifting” the following five things this week, and watch the blessings roll in!
1. Praise. We all need it, but we don’t all get it. Catch someone winning this week and tell them, in colorful detail, how they’re making a difference. Your spirit will thank you for it.
2. A Connection. Do you know a person who can help another colleague? Share a useful contact with someone who needs insight, support, or an open door to their next opportunity. Sometimes the distance between a dream and a reality is merely a bridge.
3. A Great Book. What’s your favorite leadership book? We all have our own sources of inspiration – our go-to well from which we draw energy and ideas. If there’s a book that has played a pivotal role in your leadership development, give it away. Give YOURS away…highlights and all!
4. Your Time. This week, spend thirty minutes with someone who could use a boost. They may need an ear to hear, a wise word, or feedback on work in progress. Your time is your most valuable asset, and is always worth more to the receiver than it costs the giver.
5. A Hug. Yes, I said it. Hug someone at work. You’ve seen the quote, “Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind.” It’s true. We are human beings having a professional experience, and not every day is smooth sailing. If someone at work looks like they need a hug, they probably do!
Sleep on that, my friends – 5 gifts anyone can afford to give. I guarantee it’ll be the best week you’ve had in a long time!